Birmingham Drug Distribution Attorneys
Alabama Drug Distribution Penalties
In Alabama, it is illegal to distribute, sell, give away, deliver, or in any way contribute to supplying others with an unlawful drug. Some of these drugs include methamphetamine, cocaine, heroin, and even marijuana. This offense is considered a Class B felony.
Distribution of drugs is punishable by 2-20 years in prison and a maximum fine of $30,000, these penalties can be enhanced under certain circumstances:
- Distribution of drugs within three miles of a school or public housing projects adds 5 more years to the sentence.
- Distributing drugs to a minor increases the penalty to 10 years in prison to life, along with a maximum fine of $60,000.
If you’ve been charged with drug distribution, you’ve come to the right place. Being convicted with this crime carries no small penalty, as Alabama has continued to crack down hard on drug crime for decades. At Tidwell Law Group, LLC we’ve been defending the criminally accused for 17 years. We are committed to fighting aggressively to achieve the best possible outcomes for our clients in order to protect their futures.
What is Drug Distribution?
The crimes of drug distribution and drug trafficking may sound similar, but the main difference is that trafficking refers to drug offenses that involve a greater quantity of controlled substances. If the amount of drugs you were accused of distributing was under a certain weight limit, you will only be charged with "distribution" rather than the greater offense of trafficking.
According to Alabama Code § 13A-12-211 (2012), “distribution” charges apply if the controlled substances meet the following weight/quantity requirements:
- (1) More than eight grams, but less than 28 grams, of cocaine or of any mixture containing cocaine.
- (2) More than two grams, but less than four grams, of any morphine, opium, or any salt, isomer, or salt of an isomer thereof, including heroin.
- (3) More than eight grams, but less than 28 grams, of 3,4-methylenedioxy amphetamine, or of any mixture containing 3,4-methylenedioxy amphetamine.
- (4) More than eight grams, but less than 28 grams, of 5-methoxy-3, 4-methylenedioxy amphetamine, or of any mixture containing 5-methoxy-3, 4-methylenedioxy amphetamine.
- (5) More than eight grams, but less than 28 grams, of amphetamine or any mixture containing amphetamine, its salt, optical isomer, or salt of its optical isomer thereof.
- (6) More than eight grams, but less than 28 grams, of methamphetamine or any mixture containing methamphetamine, its salts, optical isomers, or salt of its optical isomers thereof.Marijuana: 2.2 pounds or less
When you need a tough and skilled defender, look no further than the advocates at Tidwell Law Group. We fight hard to protect our clients’ rights and truly care for their well-being. If you are facing charges for drug distribution, do not hesitate to get the help you need.
Contact us today to request a free case evaluation or call (205) 800-8596!