Birmingham Drug Crime Attorney
Were you arrested? Don’t fight your charges alone!
Every year, thousands of individuals are arrested for drug-related crimes in Alabama. If you are currently facing similar charges, you have come to the right place. At Tidwell Law Group, LLC, we see our clients as more than just a statistic – they are individuals with real concerns.
We are prepared to face your charges head-on and to aggressively defend your future. Our Birmingham drug crime lawyer has 17 years of experience to apply directly to your case.
Why wait any longer? Protect your rights by contacting us at (205) 800-8596 today.
Aggressive Defense for Criminal Charges in Jefferson County, Shelby County, Birmingham City, & Surrounding Areas
Our firm understands how frightening it can be to get charged for allegedly committing a drug crime. You may have been arrested by mistake or were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. Whatever the reason behind your charges, we’re here to counteract the prosecution and take swift action on your behalf.
We have experience handling all of the following drug charges:
Schedule of Controlled Substances
Although drug crimes are generally associated with illegal substances, Alabama law prohibits the possession or sale of legal medications that are obtained without a valid prescription.
Alabama recognizes 5 classifications of controlled substances:
- Schedule 1: Has no accepted medical use and has a high potential for abuse
- Schedule 2: Has an accepted medical use, but administering it is severely restricted. There is also a high potential for abuse and a high degree of physical or psychological dependence
- Schedule 3: Has an accepted medical use. The potential for abuse is high but less so than with a Schedule 1 or 2 drug. The degree of physical or psychological dependence is low to moderate.
- Schedule 4: Has an accepted medical use. The potential for abuse and physical or psychological dependence is lower than that of a Schedule 3 substance.
- Schedule 5: Has an accepted medical use. The potential for abuse is less than that of a Schedule 4 substance. The degree of physical or psychological dependence is low.
Potential Consequences of a Drug Crime Conviction
The government is cracking down on drug crimes, and as such, these types of offenses are harshly prosecuted. The DA has considerable resources at their disposal and will fight hard to land a conviction. It is no mystery that the penalties for drug crimes in Alabama are severe.
Depending on the type and amount of substance, as well as the purpose for having it, you could be charged with a misdemeanor or felony. For example, possession of marijuana for personal use is a Class A misdemeanor, which is punishable by up to 1 year in jail and up to $6,000 in fines. However, you could face a Class B felony charge if you distribute between 8 to 27 grams of cocaine. The penalties for a conviction include up to 20 years in prison and up to $30,000 in fines.
Whether this is your first encounter with the criminal system or your third, you cannot afford to take any chances. You need an advocate who is committed to your best interests.
Protect your future – Call our Birmingham law firm today!
Having a drug crime conviction on your record can make it difficult to gain future employment or repair your reputation. The mission of Tidwell Law Group, LLC is to ensure that you don’t have to deal with the ramifications of a conviction. By utilizing strategic tactics, we can fight for reduced or dismissed charges.